Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Weaning Myself Back Into Baking

For a few years cooking was my life.  My college education was even enhanced by a Culinary minor.  I spent time as a professional chef at a couple of restaurants and even contemplated becoming a culinary professor, but sadly I will admit to the fact that I have not truly cooked/baked in over a year (the time it has been since my last job as a chef).  Yes, I have made some things.  I have "cooked" pre-prepared store bought food.  I have "baked" boxed cake mixes.  I have even pulled out my chef's knifes to chop up a few ingredients every once in awhile, but that doesn't count as truly preparing anything worth while.  It doesn't help that I am a poor 20 something just trying to make it paycheck to paycheck and the kind of ingredients that I would love to use just do not fit into my small budget.

As an attempt to return to my culinary past (okay, so it isn't that far past, but its been long enough) I have decided to wean myself back into baking.  To begin this endeavor I had to start small (due mostly to my budget restraints), but even small steps can lead to great strides.  Tonight's attempt - cupcakes.  I will let you in on a secret and tell you that I used a boxed cake mix, but the frosting was completely and perfectly made from scratch. Of course I couldn't just follow the recipe (being a former chef).  I added a few extra ingredients to the the recipe and luckily they turned out great.  I didn't get too fancy and pull out my decorating tips, but with the right amount of sprinkles they turned out delicious looking anyways.

Lets see what my future of baking will bring next.

3 comments:

  1. Send me one-even if they are out of a box (you know what your dad thinks about cooking out of a box#@%#@^$) Proud of you for getting back into it. You know the old saying "the way to a mans heart is through his stomach. Love ya Bones---Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know @&#%. I've got to start somewhere though. You've got to find the man first though before you can win your way to his heart through his stomach.

      Delete